Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Stress Puppy

These last few months have been stressful at work, today in particular, and that reminded me of the term Stress Puppy. I first saw this term in an email forward called Essential new words for the work-place vocabulary. It means A person who seems to thrive on being stressed out and whiny. I remember thinking back in 2006 that .. wow..that sounds an awful lot like me! This was the year I had just joined work, fresh out of college and ready to conquer the world..you know the type. The problem was I over-worked and over-whined. Somewhere between this realization and a third viewing of the The Devil Wears Prada (you  know, the part where Nigel says - "You know it's time for a promotion when your entire life falls apart"), I decided to take charge of my life and not let work consume me (I continue to whine, nevertheless).

Anyways, I revisited that email today and here are a few of my favorite expressions. By no means am I claiming credit for this wonderful work (thanks SCRG for the forward!), and kudos to the creative minds that came up with these.

SEAGULL MANAGER
A manager, who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps on everything, and then leaves.

SALMON DAY
The experience of spending an entire day swimming upstream only to die.

BLAMESTORMING
Sitting around in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed, and who was responsible.

PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE
The fine art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.

XEROX SUBSIDY
Euphemism for swiping free photocopies from one's workplace.

Boy, I definitely had a Salmon Day today...

No comments:

Post a Comment