Sunday, August 15, 2010

Happy Independence Day!

Happy Independence Day to all my fellow Indians out there! Missing the unbridled celebration that is so characteristic of India. In fact, I miss it on all festivals too - the loud speakers, the pandals, the decorations, the singing and dancing on the streets - that vibrant, unrestrained celebration that we Indians are so fond of. Nothing holds us back when we're happy or sad, and I think it takes a certain amount of unity and love and pureness of heart to be able to express oneself so freely.

3 comments:

  1. Yep, us Indians have much to be proud of in terms of the progress made over 63 years! Jai Hind! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. honey, we indians jus hoist the flag and eat those toffees that are distributed. there is no pandal or loudspeaker. no singing or dancing either....not even a march past. its for republic day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lion King - Agreed, the celebrations for Republic Day are more marked. However, like I said - "Missing the unbridled celebration that is so characteristic of India. In fact, I miss it on all festivals too". Perhaps I was unclear, but I was referring to the dancing and celebrations for festivals like Ganesh Chaturthi and Holi. Even for Independence Day, I think we Indians celebrate it with a lot of spirit. The whole day is about Independence, wherever you look. It's that spirit of open celebration that I miss. Thanks, 'S', for leaving me a comment!

    ReplyDelete